Latest Posts

Topic: Autocrat is impossible on seafaring maps

Kontorotsui
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-02-05, 11:39

Hello, I'm a long time player, I love this game, I played it since the first The Settlers I played on Amiga 500, and now Widelands is absolutely the top on the "Settlers" genre.

I have recently started to play 8 players maps, against 7 AIs all in the same team. Lesser Ring 1.2 was first and now I would like to start Europe.

My idea is to play to the end, that is Autocrat (destroy all the 7 AIs), but that is, sadly, impossible.

Once the AI have reached an island (like the small gold island in Lesser Ring) and in Europe from the start if a player starts in Great Britain and/or manages to reach any island and leave no free spot for a port, the game is impossible to win.

I definitely think the game must give priority to solve this blocking condition, most likely by implementing military expeditions or at least allow ships to beach themselves and act as a temporary military building for the soldiers it carries. It would be fine if the ships are lost once they beach themselves (they are made with renewable goods anyway), but the player must be given a chance to invade, else the autocrat option is, well, basically an impossible mission. What is the point to have it in a map where you cannot achieve that goal in any way?

Of course there could be a way to invade the enemy islands, which I don't know, so I'm open to suggestions.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-02-05, 11:47

Naval warfare, a way to attack and conquer enemy ports and port spaces, is – along with trading – one of the two most frequently requested features. I have actually started to implement it already, however the development of this complex feature is still in an early state and won't be ready anytime soon. My aim is to have it in release 1.2, but sadly it most likely won't be in usable state by v1.1.

Meanwhile just try some of the other win conditions on maps with islands – Territorial Lord, for instance, or Artifacts if available or, one which works with many but not all seafaring maps, HQ Hunter. Or play Endless and consider the game "won" when you have conquered everything you can possibly reach.

Top Quote
Kontorotsui
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-02-05, 12:23

Nordfriese wrote:

Naval warfare, a way to attack and conquer enemy ports and port spaces, is – along with trading – one of the two most frequently requested features. I have actually started to implement it already, however the development of this complex feature is still in an early state and won't be ready anytime soon. My aim is to have it in release 1.2, but sadly it most likely won't be in usable state by v1.1.

Thanks, that's great. I'm already downloading the development version. When you are ready to start testing the new feature, feel free to write me, I'll gladly be a beta tester.

Meanwhile just try some of the other win conditions on maps with islands – Territorial Lord, for instance, or Artifacts if available or, one which works with many but not all seafaring maps, HQ Hunter. Or play Endless and consider the game "won" when you have conquered everything you can possibly reach.

Oh, I already did that, when I conquered all of Lesser Ring 1.2 but that bloody island, with only one port spot which is taken, and I could not invade it, I considered myself as the victor... but you know, that nice message "game is won" is the real satisfaction!

Top Quote
Kontorotsui
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-02-05, 12:28

Oh, by the way, HQ Hunter is impossible too, in Europa 1.2 map, since if you're not English and you don't start in UK, unless you get a foothold there before the player completely colonizes Britain, you can't catch its HQ.

Top Quote