Latest Posts

Topic: [experimental tribe] Hebrews

carli2
Topic Opener
Version: git
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2023-08-28, 21:33

Based off a late-night idea I started creating a new experimental tribe: Hebrews. Here are the features:
- they can't grow trees. They can either steal trees from their neighbours or buy them for gold
- they have a 4-step wheat economy with wheat, wheat grain (made in the threshing floor), flour (from the mill) and bread (made from flour, water and olive oil)
- they have a complex textile industry with shepherds (creating lots of sheeps on the landscape and shearing them), wool, yarn and cloth (where a cloth is very preacious since you need a lot of yarn)
- they grow vine only on rock (which looks really cool!)
- they can create Massada, a big military castle, on rocks (so they can conquery mountain ranges)
- soldiers are trained from tunica (made from lots of cloth) and a slingshot
- they pay gold for evasion (but their evasion is good!)
- their attack is slingshot -> dagger -> shord sword
- they can improve their health points by wearing religious clothes like Tallit, Tephelin and Tallit Katan (all made with Ziziot which they have to braid from yarn)

Current TODO:
- finish the economy (some military sites are missing and the military training)
- find awesome building graphics (in the moment everything is copied)
- somehow create own bob graphics (afaik the blender plugin is broken in the moment)
- help texts

You can try the WIP on github:
https://github.com/carli2/widelands/tree/hebrews

Edited: 2023-08-28, 21:34

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-29, 12:23

carli2 wrote:

• somehow create own bob graphics (afaik the blender plugin is broken in the moment)

I was able to make the scripts work in blender 2.79, but you can do most things without them. I also made standalone versions of the ones that would be hard manually: player colours and rotation (also for scripted rendering of all rotations)

Later blender dropped the rendering engine that Widelands models used, so all lighting and shadow settings are wrong, and you have to convert textures, but at least they have a script for that.

You can try the WIP on github: https://github.com/carli2/widelands/tree/hebrews

Have you considered making it an add-on for easier development and testing? Even if you need code changes, master already has some that were specifically made to allow the Europeans tribe of @MarkMcWire to be an add-on instead of a fork, so it should be possible to get them in master.

Edited: 2023-08-29, 12:25

Top Quote
carli2
Topic Opener
Version: git
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2023-08-29, 15:31

Hi tothxa,

tothxa wrote:

carli2 wrote:

• somehow create own bob graphics (afaik the blender plugin is broken in the moment)

I was able to make the scripts work in blender 2.79, but you can do most things without them. I also made standalone versions of the ones that would be hard manually: player colours and rotation (also for scripted rendering of all rotations) Are there also some base files like for bobs in some repos?

Later blender dropped the rendering engine that Widelands models used, so all lighting and shadow settings are wrong, and you have to convert textures, but at least they have a script for that.

You can try the WIP on github: https://github.com/carli2/widelands/tree/hebrews

Have you considered making it an add-on for easier development and testing? Even if you need code changes, master already has some that were specifically made to allow the Europeans tribe of @MarkMcWire to be an add-on instead of a fork, so it should be possible to get them in master.

I will do that as soon as it reached a playable state (with ships and training)

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-29, 16:02

as promised on the phone
here is the excel sheet for tribe balancing

Attachment:
Soldiers.zip (37.9 KB)

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-29, 16:58

Are there also some base files like for bobs in some repos?

Yes, on launchpad:

Top Quote