Latest Posts

Topic: Naval Tournament 2023 Results

tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-23, 01:52

I've noticed in this game that invasion soldiers can't protect a port construction site from getting (re-)conquered by new enemy military buildings. I think this is quite a big advantage for the defender, as it can too easily thwart most invasion attempts. OTOH invasions are probably too powerful currently.

I'd like to ask all players, what you think about that? Should we consider it a bug or a feature?

Another borderline issue (a kind of race condition) I've noticed was how hessenfarmer lost his "main" port (I think the same thing happened last year in the-x vs. me): The last defender won her last fight and headed back into the port, but before she could have reached it, a new attacker reached the flag, and was able to conquer the building without resistance.

Edited: 2023-08-23, 02:04

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-23, 07:55

tothxa wrote:

I've noticed in this game that invasion soldiers can't protect a port construction site from getting (re-)conquered by new enemy military buildings. I think this is quite a big advantage for the defender, as it can too easily thwart most invasion attempts. OTOH invasions are probably too powerful currently.

I'd like to ask all players, what you think about that? Should we consider it a bug or a feature?

I think it's a critical bug, as it could be rather simple to destroy the hostile port constructionside again and again. What about treating the invasion space as a military building? In a way that it doesn't lose its territory if the enemy garrisons a new military building nearby. One could also think about making it attackable.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-23, 12:52

WorldSavior wrote:

I think it's a critical bug, as it could be rather simple to destroy the hostile port constructionside again and again. What about treating the invasion space as a military building? In a way that it doesn't lose its territory if the enemy garrisons a new military building nearby. One could also think about making it attackable.

I agree. Bug description is up https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/6112.

I think this should be fixed before the next round.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-25, 11:45

A proposed fix for the portspace conquest/reconquest bug is up as #6115. Other than that, most of the bugs found in round 1 have been fixed. As soon as that PR is also merged I'll finalize the tag for round 2. Thanks to everyone who found and reported bugs face-smile.png

One of the newest changes is a feature where segfaults and other total crashes are automatically diagnosed and saved to a file (under <widelands_home_dir>/crash/<timestamp>.txt), complete with a crash report window at next startup. This feature is currently available on Linux, MacOS, and other POSIX+GNU systems, but not yet implemented for MS-Windows (ongoing work) and not available in builds with ASan (nor, I think, on systems not using glibc).
This way, to report a crash you no longer need to use a debugger and it works even in Release builds and without having to run Widelands from a terminal. I'm looking forward to receiving more crash reports this way (although quite a lot of crashes have already been fixed) face-smile.png

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2023-08-31, 13:27

Replay of the game: mars - the-x

Attachment:
2023-08-30T21.04.05_nethost.wry (796.9 KB)

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-08-31, 19:29

Not a result, but already some replays of my match vs Elefantenrennen.

Attachment:
EleWorld.zip (1.7 MB)

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-08-31, 22:58

@_Elefantenrennen losing his port full of soldiers when his warriors' dwelling is destroyed (at 1:46:56) looks like another serious bug in the conquer code. I'm not sure if it's caused by #6115.

edit: I tried to reproduce this, but in my test the invasion soldiers only attack the port, never the neighbouring military site. Strange.

Edited: 2023-09-01, 13:53

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-09-02, 10:53

@_Elefantenrennen losing his port full of soldiers when his warriors' dwelling is destroyed (at 1:46:56) looks like another serious bug in the conquer code. I'm not sure if it's caused by #6115.

edit: I tried to reproduce this, but in my test the invasion soldiers only attack the port, never the neighbouring military site. Strange.

I can only reproduce this on this map. Looks like the attack against the neighbouring building is related to the small space around the port?

However it is not a regression in #6115. A build without that commit does the same.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-09-02, 11:00

This behaviour has been around for a long time and can frequently be observed in games against the AI where conquering a militarysite directly next to their HQ destroys the HQ, even if it still has soldiers inside. This is also related to how, when a big and a small milsite are close by each other, conquering the big one destroys the small one but the small one cannot be conquered as it is protected by the big one.

The solution would be to tweak that logic so a defended port/HQ counts like a big milsite, i.e. won't allow you to conquer anything close by. Will look into it soon-ish.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-09-05, 17:23

After many lengthy battles, Nordfriese won against stormax-e (he surrendered shortly after losing his HQ). We had one crash (which is already fixed in the latest dev version) and a few disconnects which I believe were down to bad network and not bugs.

Attachment:
Nordfriese_stormax-e.zip (3.2 MB)

Top Quote