Latest Posts

Topic: Ability to use replay instructions for AI

Wide_knight
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2024-10-04, 13:26

Hey,

TL;DR: ability to run bot on saved instructions until „conditions“ are met.

If I understand replays correctly, they are saved as „initial world state“ and „player instructions“ to essentially make the game engine re-play the game. The AI is just an „instruction generator“, so in my mind it should be possible to give it a replay instructions file and make it output those instead until some condition is met, the most obvious being „last instruction in list“ followed by „invalid instruction“ (e.g. using instructions on a different initial world state) and then „enemy detected“ as that breaks isolation.

Use case: playing against „yourself“/ benchmarking yourself/overcoming AI shortcomings by copying a player instead

I want to play a map and crush the AI, then switch positions and let the AI use my own buildup instructions to then overcome from the other side and so on.

In my opinion that would make single player quite fun for the following reasons:

• enemy is exactly at your level of skill (until met)
  • using starting conditions that AI struggles with, e.g. crowded starting spot with few building spots
  • AI is as map-aware as you and will actively work on blockers between it and the player e.g. rocks.
  • can be used as challenges, e.g. use some tournament replay file for a „beat the champ“ (maybe needs tweaking with the AI takeover conditions)

Top Quote
OIPUN
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: Yesterday 13:15

A little bit out of topic but related to the topic. The biggest problem of AI is road system. How would AI replicate the road system according to replays on many different starting positions with different tribes? And even if there is a reply on the same spot with the same tribe, the game is never the same because the enemies behave differently, the length of the game is different... From my point of view, the best solution for AI is to have different levels of AI not related to replays. Anyway, you have to improve the road system building first, then you can try to transform the replays into some form of AI hints. But I am not a developer so this is just how I see it. It would be great, if there were not only different AI for level (easy, normal, ...) but also for a map (e.g. small, big). By the way I would also have a question. Is it possible to modify AI hints by tribes add-on and if not, would it by implemented?

Top Quote
OIPUN
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: Yesterday 13:28

And another aspect to be mentioned is fertility of land. It looks like AI doesn't count with this at all. But the road system is probably more crucial.

Top Quote