Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Neutral / wild enemies

blind3rdeye
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2024-10-19, 04:31

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to implement enemies with traits something like the following

• They spawn without need of any buildings or economy. (Possibly randomly in certain pre-defined areas, or in fog-of-war near player borders or whatever).
  • They attack nearby military buildings, and if successful they momentarily capture the building to push back player borders before razing the building.

I'm imaging something like what happens when you land an army from a warship, but spawned in some other way rather than landed from a ship; and not associated with any main player.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that I reckon in some maps it would be good to have a little bit of minor military pressure from non-players while building and exploring, in advance of full-scale war with actual players.

In particular, I find that I large maps I often basically ignore military training until I'm starting to get close to the enemy, then ramp up rapidly. It goes from basically zero military, to a full army of heroes, then an explosive short battle on the frontline, then it is basically over. I just wonder if it might more interesting with some stages along the way. I wonder if some small low-level threats from non-players might be interesting, just enough that expansion requires some conflicts in advance of more serious threats. I don't imagine including this in every map. Maybe it would only be for scripted special scenarios; or maybe as a game creation option.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-10-19, 08:47

I see the point, though I'm not comfortable with the idea of integrating such an artificially fighting-heavy feature directly in the main codebase. This could be done more or less as an add-on.

We could reuse the existing naval invasion code to let soldiers guard any arbitrary location, not just portspaces. We'd only need a new Lua function to allow creation and placement of invasion soldiers at a scripting-defined location, then this can all be scripted.

Making them independent from a player would be the hardest part. You'd instead have to designate one (AI or empty-AI) player for this. Although there have been other suggestions in the past around adding a player via scripting, this would be a lot harder to implement but if it can be got working it would open up a lot of new options for add-ons.

Top Quote
Ogg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: Yesterday 14:04

-

Edited: Yesterday 19:40

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: Yesterday 18:03

I think this is same category like natrual disaters or other suggestions like Realistic random events.

That would've been a fun extra challenge

I am not sure about that.

How can those beasts be defeated?

Top Quote