Latest Posts

Topic: Add new official maps?

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-10-14, 15:07

OIPUN wrote:

As I see it, few replacement may make the official maps better. I think replacement of the current Europe with the Accurate Europe would be a good change. I would definitely recommend it .

Accurate Europe is already in the new maps pool. I had to remove some port spaces though, because they can lead to crashes. See https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/6445

I also think that we have many better maps to replace Elven Forests (the map is not aesthetic, there is an inaccessible mountain with gold and the map isn't special in any aspect). I played your map Mountain Labyrinth recently and I enjoyed the game. I think this would be a really nice new official map.

Mountain Labyrinth is a good map for multiplayer, imho. Because the ai does not perform very well i am not sure about make it an official map. Flower Power might be better.

Next map I would suggest for replacement is Golden Peninsula (the map has a bad layout, there is no way any player can reach the resources on the peninsula before the end of the game and this hardly accessible peninsula makes the map very small). In this case, I would suggest The Rush as a new map. The map just need some story to it because there is none yet.

Didn't played that map, but +1 for removing Golden Peninsula.

I also created a new version of "River Explorers" map posted here. The map is not so challenging. I almost doubled the big building spaces and add some resources. But it is nicer and AI likes it more now. You can make it more challenging by yourself by starting with basic outpost or poor hamlet.

Will have a look face-smile.png In general i like your maps very well!

Maybe someone else may suggest also another maps to be replaced too, but I didn't play all of them. I played approximately half of the official maps. All replaced maps should be available through addon with former official maps so there is no reason why the current maps should not be replaced when there are better maps now. The whole game is changing constantly (new tribes, seafaring) so the maps should go with it from my point of view.

Good idea.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
OIPUN
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2024-10-14, 15:40

kaputtnik wrote:

Accurate Europe is already in the new maps pool. I had to remove some port spaces though, because they can lead to crashes. See https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/6445

That is a good news. I didn't notice.

kaputtnik wrote:

Mountain Labyrinth is a good map for multiplayer, imho. Because the ai does not perform very well i am not sure about make it an official map. Flower Power might be better.

I played the Mountain Labyrinth against 3 trading outpost in one team and it took me some time to meet them. 2 of my enemies got pretty strong (approximately half of my strength) just one was stuck (green, I was yellow). I started with a headquarters. With basic outpost, it could be even more challenging. In instructions to some maps, there should be simply info, that AI should start with trading outpost. I haven't played Flower Power yet, but I think that it will not top the Mountain Labyrinth.

Top Quote