Latest Posts

Topic: Larger buttons/icons?

Aven
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2024-06-21, 11:12

Hello!

I am trying out v1.2 on a tv screen a few meters away, 1280x720 resolution.

In such a setup the default UI is uncomfortably small, so I installed the "Larger Font Theme", tweaking its init.lua by increasing most font_size setting by 10. That makes most text nicely readable.

However, most icons / icon buttons are also inconveniently small, including e.g. the panel buttons at the bottom of the screen, the building menu buttons, the images of resources in the headquarters, and probably others.

Is there some way that these can be sized up? Or are they hard-coded?

Many thanks for any answers, and for the game in general!

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-06-21, 17:38

Afaik the pictorial buttons, like the panel buttons, have hard-coded dimensions. Textual buttons do adjust the width and height to fit the text.

The problem with pictorial buttons is that the icon have to fit button size. Otherwise the button might be bigger than the picture...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-06-21, 22:15

Not just the buttons, but also many windows that accomodate them have fixed sizes. Every constant size we make variable needs testing to make sure it always works reasonably. (see what problems we have in CB#4778 that I've just reviewed) Some of those constants for dependent elements can only be replaced by quite detailed calculations. It's not very hard, but very time-consuming. Even though this has been reported many times, and I'd consider it one of the highest priority issues, we currently have a bigger backlog than ever since I've started following Widelands.

(BTW at 720 lines it shouldn't be all that bad, after all the minimum supported resolution is 800x600. At those resolutions some windows are already too big with the default theme IMO)

Top Quote
Aven
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2024-06-22, 10:15

Thanks for your answers, kaputtnik and tothxa!

Nice to hear that flexible windows etc are on the roadmap, even if it's no quick change.

tothxa wrote:

(BTW at 720 lines it shouldn't be all that bad, after all the minimum supported resolution is 800x600. At those resolutions some windows are already too big with the default theme IMO)

If I were sitting at a desk, the icons etc would indeed be big enough. But I'm trying to play from the couch, with +- 3m between eyes and tv screen face-smile.png That's perhaps an outlier use case (maybe somewhat equivalent to someone with impaired vision playing?) If the windows/image buttons/icons system does get a rework, I imagine it /is/ possible to adapt to those cases, maybe a bit comparable to UI design on smartphones?

With increased font size it is actually pretty playable right now. For the elements mentioned, the tooltips do help to tell the icons apart, though this does take more effort than a quick visual glance.

(NB: Just now I found that with my settings the lowest content of the 'New Random Game' window isn't visible, including any 'ok' or 'proceed' button - but Enter gets me to the next dialog. I suppose a vertical scroll bar might fix such cases in any future windows/buttons rework?)

Thanks again for your answers, and much appreciation for all the effort that goes into this!

Top Quote