Latest Posts

Topic: Bridges

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-11, 20:01

I'm playing on that new map "Accurate Europe". It's accurate and interesting. On the download page the creator said he made the rivers navigable. That is they are 2 hexes wide and thus can sailed down. It also means they can't be crossed by troops. Playing collectors means I did not bother with ships anf the rivers form nive natural borders. The Rhein is keeping the French back nicely even though I was sluggish in reaching it (because I stopped building sentries when I ran out of soldiers thinking I don't want to lose 3 points for making an Empire Soldier, I did change my mind obviously). Now while in this win condition I am quite happy not to be able to cross the rivers I was struck by an idea. It's almost certainly been suggested before but I found nothing within the last year mentioning bridges.

The idea is simply to be allowed to build BIG and LONG bridges that can cross a 2 or more hex wide river. (no idea what the limit should be, 3 maybe?) This probably should be a military building since these types of bridges are always military objectives and during most wars were garrisoned.

Imagine the possibilities. Rushing to build a bridge to cross the big river. Burning them when things go badly. Oooh the building should have 2 bases, one on each shore and to take the bridge you must conquer both.

Maybe the bridge could be an upgrade to a medium tower.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-12, 07:13

Bridges would be a huge game-changer that would break the intended gameplay on all existing maps with rivers on them (i.e. most). So I'm not very fond of the idea, and providing this as an add-on would not be possible since this would require a great amount of C++ coding changes.

Note that if the map designer chooses so, there may be port spaces on both sides of the river which you can use to establish a short-distance shipping link, and which can also be used to serve as an invasion base; and you can build waterways for ferries at any place along the river.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-12, 11:46

It would still be nice to somehow allow rivers that are both navigable and crossable by roads. Sometimes that would be the intent of the map creator.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-12, 14:49

Bridges would make ferries nearly useless (of course it depends on the length of bridge/waterway). And if workers can walk on bridges, ships get partly also useless.

It would still be nice to somehow allow rivers that are both navigable and crossable by roads. Sometimes that would be the intent of the map creator.

Since widelands has currently no such possibility, map designers just stick with the given possibilities. So i am not sure if a map creator has the intent to plan something which is not possible...

As for the used wincondition: If a player chooses this wincondition he has to live with the consequences and spend then and then some precious material to get in reach of other precious materials. Bridges will also need some material and i guess they won't get cheap face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-12, 16:15

Well, "Forest Valley" has this problem with the fords at the river forks for one.

But I'm thinking more of some special water terrain that is both "walkable" and "water" or so, and don't want bridges to be anything special, just use the existing small ones. Though it would be certainly better if flags and road junctions could be prevented on that terrain, but that's again too much code complication for a not-so-important feature.

Top Quote