Topic: Empire AI

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-12, 13:12

I am testing a new map with an 8 AI-players game and noticed some issues:

• After round about 1 hour the AI does not expand the territory anymore, although the warehouses are full of wares (see screenshot)
  • Production sites which gathers wares from the nature don't get dismantled, e.g. fishers, quarries and woodcutters (without foresters nearby)
  • the Arena don't get enhanced to a Collosseum, instead the AI likely build two Arenas

Don't know if those issues can be solved by AI-Training ...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-12, 13:12

Forgot the screenshot:

Attachment:
Empire_AI_not_expanding.png

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-12, 13:15

What might be an Idea especially for 1v1 games versus the player might be to give the AI an intelligent starting. Only AI Training works in mist parts very well, but not 1v1 games versus the player, since players often want to play a game less than 2 hours : )

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-12, 13:15

And here is the save game:

Attachment:
Empire_AI_issues.zip (419.8 KB)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-12, 13:16

the-x wrote:

What might be an Idea especially for 1v1 games versus the player might be to give the AI an intelligent starting. Only AI Training works in mist parts very well, but not 1v1 games versus the player, since players often want to play a game less than 2 hours : )

Please don't hijack a specific topic with unrelated things. Thanks.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-15, 16:15

Ok, i made another test game on the same map, with 8 Empire AI players again and now they all expanded their territory.

If i understand correctly, on each start of a game some random values are applied to the AI and the the AI files are Tribe specific. So on an 8 players map with 8 AI players of the same tribe all players uses the same AI configuration? That would at least explain why in the first test game all AI behaves the same (do not expand).

Is there something like a rule of thumb what effect AI training has? Or vice versa: A rule of thumb what maybe a failure of the AI code may is?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-15, 17:20

I did not have time to look into the issues yet.
the ai is not tribe specific but tribe agnostic.
the ai of each player is constructed of 2 slightly modified instances of the base AI definitions.

A rule of thumb is hard to define as the performance is very map dependent. Especially the Empire is at risk to get stalled if no rocks and no stones mnining ressource is in the vicinity of the starting point. vicinity means start radius plus one small military building at max.
So every reproducable dumb or wrong behaviour of the AI is most like a code error. AI Performance (in terms of how fast it can establish and extent a full economy or getting stuck) is most likely training dependent but needs to take map design into account.
A good map to see AI most likely getting stuck with empire is Lesser Ring for example as marble is far on this map.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-15, 20:17

well I checked the savegame, but directly after loading all AI begin to expand again. So I think this might have been a hickup in the AI which will not be traceable at all.
A replay might help to understand the issue but does not guarantee anything.

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2023-11-20, 23:07

For time to time I see the AI doing some obviously very bad stuff. I generally just ignore it. But would it be helpful to post a save game or something? For example, check out this screenshot from a game I was playing today. Two of the AI players seemed to be fine, but this one seemed to be confused about something.

Attachment:
can you smelt that.jpg

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 15:13

better then a savegame, which is a result, would be a replay, to see how we got there.
but a screenshot like this is helpful as well.
the screenshot above most likely shows a marble deadlock, as I can't see any marble mine.

Top Quote