Latest Posts

Topic: Windlands - Metaserver

mictech
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2024-01-27, 16:02

Hello, I just discovered this amazing game and love it. I wanted to set up my own Widelands meta-server to ensure that only the kids in the family have access. Unfortunately, I found out that I can only start the game and initiate an online session. The Docker version appears to be outdated. Is there a way to start a Widelands session on a CLI Debian server?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-27, 17:06

If you just want to allow games in your local network you don't need the metaserver, you could use the direct lan option instead.

Top Quote
mictech
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2024-01-27, 17:36

You are right. But the "kids" lives not only at home in my local area Network. I also want that other outside the network have access, like cousins aso.

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-27, 19:59

mictech wrote:

Hello, I just discovered this amazing game and love it. I wanted to set up my own Widelands meta-server to ensure that only the kids in the family have access. Unfortunately, I found out that I can only start the game and initiate an online session. The Docker version appears to be outdated. Is there a way to start a Widelands session on a CLI Debian server?

Try this - it worked for me on a current Debian machine:

sudo apt-get install golang
export GOPATH=$HOME/go
mkdir ~/go
cd ~/go
go install -v github.com/widelands/widelands-metaserver/...@latest
cd src/github.com/widelands/widelands-metaserver
./bin/wlnr &
./bin/wlms &

This starts both servers needed, as described on https://github.com/widelands/widelands-metaserver. The commands to install the server on that page seem to be way out of date with current versions of go.

In order to now use it, edit the config file of widelands, which is not (as described on the page above) at ~/.widelands/config, but in my case at least was at ~/.config/widelands/config and under the [global] section, add the line (with the host name you want/need to use)

metaserver="localhost"

You will need to do this on all machines you want to use this metaserver and removing it gives you the default back.

Edited: 2024-01-27, 20:00

Top Quote