Latest Posts

Topic: Empire AI

blind3rdeye
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2023-11-23, 10:09

hessenfarmer wrote:

better then a savegame, which is a result, would be a replay, to see how we got there.
but a screenshot like this is helpful as well.
the screenshot above most likely shows a marble deadlock, as I can't see any marble mine.

The AI in that screenshot is not playing as Empire. (Sorry. It wasn't my intention to derail the topic from "Empire AI"; I was just giving an example of possibly faulty AI.)

As it happens, I was able to fish out the replay after checking a heap of old replay files. It's in two parts, but I'll see if I can just upload the biggest part. Yellow is the player to watch. However, after quickly looking at the replay myself, I think it is probably not a good case study. I think the biggest stumbling block is just the tricky layout of the map. Maybe it's best to just focus on 'normal' maps.

The screenshot shows some obviously bad building choice (ie. heaps of smelters that aren't doing anything); and there are other similar bad choices made throughout the replay. (Heaps of sawmills all on 0%, heaps of foresters all stopped, ... its as if when the AI recognises a need, they go way overboard in trying to address it.) So anyway, there is definitely some AI trouble going on. But those 'efficiency' problems aren't the main problem for yellow. The main problem is that it failed to expand past a choke-point on the map. To expand further, they would have needed to build a larger military building on the border. Their small buildings weren't reaching far enough to get past the choke point.

It would be nice if the AI knew to try that, but I think I'll forgive them for failing.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-23, 12:05

thanks for the replays and sorry for not looking carefully at the buildings, there I got tricked by the thread title.
I'll try to analyse it and see what is the reason behind the issues. At least the overshoot in buildings is not unfamiliar to me but I always thought it to be a temporary and neglegible case. But from the image it seems that evaluation is wrong.
to not run in incompatabilities may I ask which version has been used for the game of this replay?

Top Quote
blind3rdeye
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2023-11-24, 04:43

hessenfarmer wrote:

to not run in incompatabilities may I ask which version has been used for the game of this replay?

On the main menu it says Version 1.2~git26475 (00bc2db@protected/navalwarfare) Release

Top Quote